Sunday, September 16, 2012

Biscuit Burnout

Google directions to Biscuit Burnout Blvd.....

Turn right at second stop light, take next left in 1/2 mile, first stop light make U-Turn, at next light make U-Turn, first light make U-Turn, U-Turn again and again and again... you have arrived at Biscuit Burnout Blvd.  Enjoy your dining experience.


The road to Biscuit Burnout went down like this.

Seth had an appointment in Virginia. He slept most of the way to the appointment.  Lunch time had arrived and so off we went INTO a restaurant for some grub. (I rarely take Seth to a restaurant for many reasons.. just read my other blogs).  We had about 30 min to spare before the apt so we went to eat.  The moment we sat, we ordered.  Chix strips and fries for the boy, Salad for me and mex for the big guy.  All the while, the newly nice waitress informed us that she would be bringing out the biscuits while we waited for our lunch.  (Hmm... biscuits before lunch, umm, ok).  As soon as the spoken word "biscuit" left the waitresses mouth, Seth was in all his glory.  The boy LOVES biscuits! He LOVES the school's breakfast biscuits! Biscuits to him is like gold to a pirate or better yet, a Red Ryder BB gun to Ralphie. ( Remember the classic movie, A Christmas Story).

Our lunch soon arrived but no biscuits.  According to the gal, they were still in the oven.  I thought Seth was going to have a huge meltdown, but thankfully, his food kept him semi-occupied.  I must make a confession, I was "kinda" upset with the waitress for "teasing" my son with the word biscuits.  I mean, how dare her tell us that she was bringing out biscuits shortly upon our arrival to only have them delivered to us in a to-go box on our way out 30 minutes later.  ( I have to remind myself that people do not know my son nor the special and unique way he thinks.  Sensitive, Autistic, Moody self  he is.)  I mean , the kid could have had a huge meltdown right in front of her because the biscuits were taking to long. Being that they were taking to long makes her a liar in his eyes because she said she would be right back with them and she did not return with them until much later. Seth takes most things literally.  

Ok back to the story.  Out the door we were going and we were handed the to-go boxed biscuits because Seth had let his needs known that he was not leaving without those biscuits.  In the car we go and off we went. 2 minutes from restaurant to doctor's office.  In 2 minutes a lot can happen in Seth's world.

Here is the toll road leading to Biscuit burnout.

Seth opens the box.  In a seconds time he notices they are NOT the biscuits he THOUGHT they were going to be.  He called me a liar and started whining and complaining that they were not biscuits. Then he proceeded to take a nibble and then we hear "YUCK!" and then spitting noises.  He had spit on his book bag and himself.  Sweet.

Buckle your seat belt and secure your helmet please.  Here we go to Biscuit Burnout!   

Kicking, screaming, noise making were just some of what we endured on the 2 minute drive to the office. As we pulled into the parking lot he declared, "take me back home".  I quickly departed the car to head into the building.  As I am about to enter the building, I hear yelling and screaming.  I look back and see Seth running full speed past me in the parking lot. Shane then takes off running after him.  Loooong story short;  Shane had chased  him and cornered him, so Seth could not run. He continues to kick and scream in full force.  Finally about 15 min later, Seth explained to me that they were the wrong biscuits.  They didn't smell or look like biscuits. They didn't  have the "bun" on top, like the biscuits at school.

I cannot even begin to try to understand how his mind works. Even when I think I have a clue, something else happens.  I mean, a HUGE MAJOR MELTDOWN over a freakin' biscuit.  Talk about a constant walk on eggshells. UGH!

From biscuit burnout to goldfish fiasco to whatever tomorrow will bring... Seth will always me my SS (Superhero Seth) with huge drop zones and heightened highs with a special mix of Autism, ADHD and his bag of alphabet soup that only a mother could truly love and adore. I love you Seth.

Sadly, the events spoken here are very true, upsetting and much more intense and involved.  I did not feel the need to give the exact play by play...because well, this is not the first, nor the last. .. and I did not feel that the every word and action would make this post any more or less. 
 *Sidenote:  I had a woman approach me asking if everything was alright and if she could help.  And another woman asked me what was wrong with him. Hurts my heart but trying to keep strong...

Sleeping on the drive to appointment. Seth with his special
"blue blankie".

The "culprit" of the Biscuit burnout.







4 comments:

  1. Meltdowns are zero fun. For anyone. I'd have been pissed about the biscuits too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the meltdowns are quite challenging as well as the sprinting after them. When another adult asks me what's wrong I have to remember that on the outside looking in that it doesn't look quite right but it is hard for me to stop and explain when I am just trying to get the situation under control.

    I wish there was a way I could predict a melt down so I could be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone recommended that I make business-like cards explaining what my has. This way, when he has a major meltdown in public and someone asks whats going on or tries to help, I can just hand them a card. I suppose its good in theory. I know a mom who uses them and it has helped her when out in public.

      Delete