Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Goldfish NOW... please

Goldfish you say.  

When did Goldfish become a hot commodity in our household?  Let me rephrase that.  When did Goldfish become a hot commodity in households across America?  

I can speak for my household.  Since Seth was a tot he loved to eat and still does. Food is a huge soothing sensory for him.  Original flavored Goldfish (and most food for that matter) use to be a good barganing tool to get Seth to behave better or to accomplish something. Sadly, this barging tool hasn't worked much lately. Nonetheless, the kid loves to eat!

Hunger drives him.  It is deeply rooted and entangled in every aspect of his life. While playing, he will just stop and say "I'm hungry".  The moment he awakes, "I'm hungry".  The very second he steps off the school bus, departs the toilet, watching the tele, homework, swimming, just AFTER he ate and says "I'm full" he follows up with "I'm hungry. Can I have desert?"  (Sidenote: In our home, deserts are for special occasions.. not an every evening dinner wrap up).  

When food is not granted to Seth, the meltdown begins - in stages.  Whining, frustration, yelling, anger, screaming, meltdown and destruction.  Self hurting. You might be thinking that I am over exaggerating, sadly, I am not.  I wish I was.  The boy truly thinks that he will die if he does not eat NOW.  It consumes him.  

As I said, food is a huge soothing sensory for him.  When I don't grant him the food he wants, it is because I am trying to help him understand that he needs to have control over his emotions and the difference between needing and wanting to eat.  

So, if you happen to see us out one day dining at a local eatery and he is starting to go awry, there are a few factors to consider....  

1)  He wants to eat whatever he "thinks" he wants. (Meaning: What he thinks he wants to eat, is not always what he "really" wants)  
Example: He says he wants chicken.  Sounds simple enough right? WRONG.  Is it chix nuggets, boneless chicken, chix on bone, fried, baked, grilled, pan, bar-b-que marinade, lemon and spices coated, no coating, you get the idea.

2) Then when he says what he "really" wants.. its not always the case once it is served to him because it... A) Might look different from the last time. B) Might taste different from last time. C) Might smell different from last time. *Smells and odors can also drive Seth into sensory overload mode.  That is for another blog post.

 3) The mean mommy comes out and makes him "try" a food he disliked a few weeks ago.


 Whew. That was exhausting.

Tidbit:  Quick glimpse into Seth's mind.
A sandwich isn't a sandwich.  You ask Seth if he wants a sandwich, his reply is usually...  bread, turkey, bread (bread, turkey, mustard, bread).    


2 comments:

  1. Oh the food wars! I can relate. Mom, the texture is wrong. Mom, there is no sauce, or too much sauce. On and On and on. One favorite snack in our house is goldfish, always a safe snacking choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the texture, smells and visual wars. Yes, all very familiar in this household. Cheers to goldfish!

      Delete