Monday, September 10, 2012

Oh Dare oh Dare

Dare County is located in northeastern North Carolina along the Atlantic seaboard. Dare County stretches along almost 110 miles of shoreline known as the Outer Banks. Population: 34,307.  Lat and Long : 35.6549619, -75.6208088.

So now you have a brief idea of the county in which I live in.  Beautiful and serene.  Just like something one could dream of retiring too no matter how young or old. Living the "beach life" to surf and fish.  Come, come to me says Dare County. Trade in your coats and ties for board shorts and flips.  Live the easy, laid back life. Sounds lovely, right?  There is a catch for some of us here on the Outer Banks aka OBX.  While this is true for most, it is not for me and my son. 

I love the surfing, beaches, fishing, outdoors, laid back lifestyle but the OBX is not the most "special needs" friendly place to be. This is not a secret.  Finding certain therapies for Seth has been a challenge to say the least.  Also, finding other out reach programs and support programs has been harder then I thought. 

Every 4-5 weeks Seth and I take a 5 hour trek (drive time to and from) to his psychiatrist in Greenville, NC. We will also be venturing to Virginia Beach, Virginia (3 hour drive time to and from) for a pediatric behavioral therapist probably once a week.  That is a lot of drive time for my little guy and me too, as well as loss of school time.  That in itself is extremely physically and mentally exhausting and can cause Seth numerous meltdowns, making me want to insert my ear plugs. Of coarse it is worth it, but if he has a meltdown on the drive to the appointment - the apt is almost always useless.  I never know what will trigger Seth to have a major meltdown so I can never plan what to expect.  

Please do not take this post as a dislike for the OBX, that is so far from the truth!  I love living here and the lifestyle. We also have some freaking awesome friends and family that bless us everyday! As well, Seth has an amazing occupational therapist, a wonderful pediatrician and had great speech therapists.  And we are gifted with a stellar program called,  "Surfing for Autism".  You should check them out. http://www.surfingforautism.org/

As for Seth, depending on his day/time/mood/hyper state/hunger/phase of the moon/tide charts... he too loves to surf, bogie board, fish, swim and the beach life.  Heck, that's all my kid knows.  

Before 6 years ago, I did live the laid back beach life and could not have imagined otherwise. Hopefully most of you have never had a special need and never will but if you did or do then I am guessing you have some understanding for my post.  

Yes, there are days that I wish we lived closer to an area that catered to all of Seth's need.  Just to spare him the "off routine" of the day. Then, just as I wish for that, I find myself longing for the sunrise on the beach, smell of the salt air, sand in my hair, saltwater skin, feel of the surf, sunset on the sound and most of all, my loving home I so adoringly call, OBX. 
Seth surfing at the Surfing for Autism event. Nags Head, NC 
Kai, Keana and Seth. Sunset on the sound in Kitty Hawk. 
Step Brothers and buds: Kai and Seth

Sunday sunrise
  .     

No comments:

Post a Comment